Thursday, April 10, 2008

STINK EYE AT THE 'CON


After swearing that I would never do standup at Rincon we ended up there today and it turned out to be a good time. I don't recommend that a beginner SUP surfer or a wave hog SUP surfer go there because you wont last long. The pit crew will make sure of that!! We did get some stink eye from one of the pit crew dudes but for the most part he was cool and I think he realized that we knew what we were doing. The purpose of the outing was to try out a few new SUP boards. We had a Starboard 9' footer and a Ron House 11' single fin and 9'6" tri-fin. I took the Ron House 9'6"+28" out and the first thing I found was that the fins were to small. This board was used a few times by one of Ron's team riders and maybe he used these small fins for a reason but it didn't work for me. The board now has the proper fins so it should be fine the next go out. I have surfed this same board with the right size fins before and it kicks ass. I almost think he put those tiny fins on it just to mess with me. I'll have to call and find out. Next was the Starboard 9' footer. I still can't believe how well this thing floats and paddles for such a small board. It surfs good too. It's a board that I would have to get used to because of the width. It is 30" wide. I really prefer a SUP board that is 28" wide no matter what the length is. Overall it's a great small SUP board and it would be a good addition to the quiver. Finally it was almost time to go so I went in and grabbed the 11' foot Ron House. This by far was my favorite board today. There is nothing fancy looking about the board but it surfs like a mo fo!! I like a big SUP board that has a thin tail and is super stiff. I like to power the board into the turns rather than the board doing the turns and me just going along for the ride. In other words, I don't like super loose floaty boards because they drift around to much in the hard turns and don't stick. The Ron House 11' footer makes the surfer do all the work. It's a power surfers board. I will be spending a lot of time on this board in the months to come. FYI, the Ron House boards I am talking about aren't the Surftech pop outs. They are the hand laid production epoxy/eps boards. OUT.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hey Jim,
Dave here--the guy who bought Steve Marsh's Noserider... With all those boards piling up in your quiver, the wife wants to know when you're unloading your Naish 10-6? Methinks you've got a taker should you decide it's time to thin out some inventory....

Jim Brewer said...

Dave-The inventory does need some thinning out. Steve has my cell number or I will see you at the point.