Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Naish TV


Two things tonight. One, check out the SUP video of Robby Naish and the boys in Maui. Robby is doing SUP on some big ass waves. You can see it by going to www.naishsurfing.com and click on the Naish TV clip. Two, in a past post I talked about Monster Grip Paint out of San Clemente. They have a great product that I spray on the front of all my SUP boards. It's a marine grade epozy non-skid grip. The stuff is great. No more slipping on the nose of your board. I found another great use for the stuff. I have been having problems with my hands slipping off my carbon paddle when I am digging deep for a wave. I sprayed the Monster Grip on my paddle and the problem is gone. I really recommend this spray on grip to all SUP surfers. Do a Google search on "Monster Grip Paint" for more info or go to www.nonskidpaint.com. OUT.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i did a monster grip google search and came up with the following pretty negative review of the stuff:

We were initially impressed with Monster Grip. It outperformed all the other products in the run of dry tests. Although the surface was somewhat rough and gritty, it seemed to provide excellent traction - but we quickly developed serious concerns about its performance under wet conditions. The manufacturer's advice on the can is to avoid applying Monster Grip to areas that experience continuous standing water. They also say to keep your surface dry for two weeks following application. We found that even small amounts of water affected the performance of this product. Once we got the Monster Grip wet, it flaked off easily after only light abrasion with our hands. This would pose serious safety and cosmetic problems if applied to any open deck. On participant even stated that Monster Grip came off on her shoes. Another consideration is rainwater, especially if your boat is left uncovered and exposed on a regular basis. Finally, Monster Grip has an especially gritty feel that is uncomfortable on bare feet, hands, and knees.

from:
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/Findings/nonskid2.htm

I was wondering if you could comment on the review -- i.e., how long have you been using MG, have you experienced any flaking, and like that. thanks!

Jim Brewer said...

Flipper-I don't use this product on boats I use it on the front of my SUP boards and my carbon paddles so I can only comment on these items. I have never had a problem with the Monster Grip and it definitely doesn't come off the boards like the review said. We use our boards every day and hammer the stuff and it shows no sign on coming off at all. Also I couldn't find any warning on the can about avoiding continuous standing water. Most likely the guy didn't prepare the surface right. Like I said, me and my friends use Monster Grip on our SUP boards with no problems at all. My friend Mike has had it on his board for at least a year with no problems. Hope that helps.

Jim Brewer said...

Flipper-I did a little research on the review you mentioned. That review is almost 13 YEARS OLD !

Unknown said...

13 years old? Sheesh. Jim -- why don't you take down my original post. With the review being that old, it doesn't seem fair to even give it the time of day.